[Koha] Item types : formats, collections or what?

Lino Tremblay lino.tremblay at cegep-ste-foy.qc.ca
Sat Jan 31 04:09:38 NZDT 2009

Hello Joann,

IMHO, in "document type", there's always been a confusion between the
format of document (book, ebook, DVD, etc.) and its content (fiction,
dictionary, etc.), which often results in way too many types.

I'm trying to clarify this here by creating document types only for
formats. For the remaining info (content, target audience, etc.),
there's MARC fields like 000, 008, 245$h, 650$v and 655. As Koha isn't
exploiting all of these fields (yet), I'll create uncontrolled index
terms in 653 for the most important info (people here like to be able to
search only novels, by example). It's not perfect, but it'll do the job
until better ways to search are included in Koha. The only advice I can
give you now is to populate these fields as much as you can even if
they're not used now (hopefully, one day they will!).

Here's an example:

I convert my "Book (novel)" type this way:

000/6 = a (record type - textual document)
000/7 = m (bibliographic level - monographic document)
008/33 = f (litterary genre - novel)
653$a = Novel
942$c = Print book

Its sometimes a bit more complicated, but it's worth the trouble. We
have around 70 documents types actually. We'll bring that number down to
13 in Koha. Surely this will be easier to understand for our users.

As for collections/shelving locations, I think it's a must to be able to
search them at the OPAC. It's not possible with the default Koha, but it
can be done - Kathy Rippel and people at CKLS have managed to do it.

Hope this helps!

Lino