[Koha] Running koha from removable media

Fred.King at Medstar.net Fred.King at Medstar.net
Thu Jan 15 10:17:09 NZDT 2009

This sounds like a job for Koha VMWare! [cue dramatic music, but where did
they put the phone booth?] The uncompressed VMWare image of Koha 3.0 won't
fit on a 2GB stick/card, but it fits on a 4GB one with room to spare. And
the VMWare player can be downloaded for free.
I haven't tried running a full-fledged production Koha system from a
VMWare image myself (I'm learning Koha in my spare time, which has been in
short supply the past few months), but I don't think it would present too
many difficulties. Has anyone else here tried it?

Fred King
Medical Librarian, Washington Hospital Center
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6221

koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz wrote on 01/14/2009 03:27:41 AM:

> Krishnan,
>
> This is a great start. The intention for this concept is to provide
> remote knowledge centre’s with a simple way to use their computer to
> monitor their books, CD’s and DVD’s , in places without tech support
> or reliable computers.
> These remote communities don’t get support or funding to purchase a
> library management system and so I am wondering if it would be very
> difficult to make a USB stick library management system.  A copy
> could be made – one for the administrator as the master and one for
> the public to use for browsing.  Any changes can be made on the
> ‘admin stick’, duplicating this at any time  would update the
publicdatabase.

>  It would be best if it could be run from within a Windows
> environment without having to boot from the stick. This way, any
> computer that is working (desktop PC or a laptop) could be used to
> host the USB stick and software. Most of these remote libraries
> would have less than 1000 items total. Some have Internet – some
> don’t. I have started a blog with a map showing where they all are :
> http://ikcnetwork.blogspot.com/
>
> I might try and create mu own kitchen sink!
>
> Cheerio,
>
> James
>

> James Leech  Project officer - Keeping Culture Strong
> State Library of Queensland - Cairns  Reef Terminal Building  Level
> 1, 1 Spence Street, Cairns  Qld  4870  P.O. Box 2352, Cairns, 4870
> mob:  0407 674 378   wk:(07) 4031 3232    hm: (07) 4095 2724    fax:
> (07) 4031 1234

CONFIDENTIAL: The information contained in this communication,
including its attachments may contain confidential information and
is intended only for the individual (s) or entity (ies) to whom it
is addressed . The information contained in this communication may
also be protected by legal privilege , federal law or other
applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient of this
communication , you are hereby notified that any distribution,
dissemination or duplication of this communication is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this communication in error please
immediately delete and destroy all copies of this message and
please immediately notify us of the error by separate communication
. Thank you.