[Koha] Ubuntu based distro

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jan 7 12:45:43 NZDT 2009

Steven Owley wrote:

> I think that I am proposing just that--the koha installation should be
> self-contained, and everything it needs to be run (if not built)
> within a given host OS should be in the distribution, including a
> custom-built perl, MySQL and Apache, statically-linked.  Development
> should take place within those constraints, too.

This is the most stable way to distrbute Koha. But I don't think it should
be the only way.

For one, we cannot come up with a so-called "static and dependable" install
for every possible OS. Rather, I agree we should come up with one for, say,
the top 10, i.e. most popular Linuxes, a Mac OS X version for Leopard
and one for Windows XP (I do not want to contemplate Vista).

The dangley bits of the Koha install task are along the following lines:

(*) installation on a non-supported OS config,   i.e. Linux/WEiRd0 distro
(*) installation in a development environment(s) i.e. using git directly
(*) multiple installs in a shared environment    i.e. two Kohas in one namespace
(*) multiple installs in virtual environments    i.e. one Koha per virtual

> But I bet this conversation has already happened a dozen times, and
> since I do not have the expertise to actually do all this, I will stop
> arguing for it, however inevitable I think it is.

The topic will not go away until the installation situation is resolved.
As it stands, and judging from the number of comments and cries for help on
this list, we have a way to go.

I am in the process of writing up an RFC on the developer's Wiki that
addresses as many of the different installation environments and situations
I can think of.

How can we / should we as a group proceed to discuss this RFC?
For one thing, the discussion belongs on Koha-developers.
Or is there room for input from librarians and non-techies ?

cheers
rickw