[Koha] Counting the cost

Nelson Fredsell -CCE nelson at cfce.org.za
Thu Feb 19 06:13:49 NZDT 2009

Excellent point - sometimes I'm sure I can't see the forest for the trees,
and maybe this is one of those times.

I will say, that despite its small size, using an OPAC like Koha would allow
us to potentially serve patrons who live across a wide geographic area, i.e.
across South Africa.  Also, we're thinking a Koha installation might
encourage collaborative activity as multiple organisations learn to share an
ILS, and make a wider range of library resources available to respective
members, and perhaps eventually to non-members or other libraries via
inter-library loans.  Perhaps Koha could help us make a valuable resource
more accessible to society.

Finally, as a non-librarian myself, my understanding is that one of the key
qualities of an ILS like Koha is its ability to point the user to
appropriate books, etc. according to the need - i.e. strong search features
build into the software (I assume Koha has this).  Often our students find
books by simply looking on the shelf, then choosing ones that look
interesting.  However, more advanced library users may find first-rate
materials through a more abstract process of heading to the computer for
some leads.

Again, thank you for the reality check.  I'll keep considering what you've
said.