[Koha] PTFS Support for the Koha Community

paul POULAIN paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Feb 4 05:38:05 NZDT 2009

Yokley, John a écrit :

> ** We also have a software development group well suited to support
> Koha development.  I have been advised that there are community
> concerns over code submission.  While we have not yet completed a Koha
> development project, we fully intend to provide the source code to our
> customers for submission to the community.

Hello John,

did I miunderstand : you plan to provide the source code to your
customers and they will have to take care of submitting it to the
community ?
If it's your choice, then you'll be GPL compliant, as the GPL just
requires that (ie: provide the source code & give permission to
redistribute)
If it's what you plan to do, your customers will go to a dead-end, as
their specific code won't be in official Koha (I can't think even a
second a librarian will submit git patches ! Maybe US librarians are
different from French librarians, but not that much !!!).
Thus, for future release, they'll have to do the job again -or have to
pay you[1] to do it- Not very interesting for the users ! At BibLibre,
it's something we have done only once in 6 years, and the library that
wanted that regrets his decision (as the move from 2.2 to 3.0 will be
very expensive, and probably delayed to 2010 !)

Also note that, due to Koha technical architecture, you can't deploy
Koha without providing the source code (thanks Perl language) !

[1] you or someone else. But frankly, this will be a technical pain for
the company doing it if it was not the company doing the 1st version.

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com