[Koha] LDAP integration question

Bryan Lakatos Bryan.Lakatos at mvschool.com
Tue Dec 15 12:08:01 NZDT 2009

Greetings all -

I'm the Dir. of Tech at a small indie school in Dayton, OH and we're moving our library catalogs to Koha from an old Spectrum system.  I'm a HUGE supporter of Open Source, and I am stoked that Koha exists!  I'm almost ready to roll it out, but I've got one hiccup:

I've got my Koha talking to my LDAP, and everything is working except for the fact that the "firstname" attribute isn't being integrated from the LDAP to the Koha database.  I'm pretty sure I've got the mapping right, as I can do an "ldapsearch" from the CLI, and find the right info.  Here's the pertinent section from my config file:

<useldapserver>1</useldapserver>
       <ldapserver id="server1" listenref="server1">
        <hostname>ldap.mvschool.com</hostname>
        <base>o=mvs</base>
        <replicate>1</replicate>
        <update>1</update>
        <auth_by_bind>0</auth_by_bind>
        <mapping>
          <userid       is="cn"         ></userid>
          <firstname    is="givenname"  ></firstname>
          <surname      is="sn"         ></surname>
          <address      is="mail"       >NA</address>
          <city         is="l"          >Dayton</city>
          <branchcode   is="ou"         >OhDaMVS</branchcode>
          <categorycode is="facsimileTelephoneNumber" >PT</categorycode>
        </mapping>
       </ldapserver>

I think there must be something I'm missing.  All the other bits of info being integrated correctly were the default-ly required ones.  I added "firstname" to the <mapping> section, thinking it would just grab it naturally on the next log in, but I guess this is not the case.  I've also changed the entry for "firstname" in the mysql db to "not null" in the hopes that it grabbed the attributes it had to based on that qualification, but that hasn't helped either.

I've googled around, but either I'm not asking the question correctly, or no one has had this problem before.  ;)  Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S.  I sent this same question a minute ago, but when it came back to me it was missing parts.  Odd.  Hopefully this one will not do the same; please forgive this duplicate question.

--

Bryan A. Lakatos
Director of Technology

The Miami Valley School is the Dayton area's only independent college preparatory school.  Experience excellence at MVS.