[Koha] Is Bundle::KohaSupport still useful ?

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Fri Dec 11 05:47:35 NZDT 2009

Dear Ian,

At 16.29 10/12/2009, Walls, Ian wrote:
>Would it be possible/practical to make the maintenance of
>Bundle::KohaSupport a task for a Koha Community
>officer/volunteer?  It seems that having only one Perl module to
>install would greatly simply the instructions, and might make it
>easier to create and maintain debian packages for Koha in the future.
>
>And since I'm speaking up, I'll volunteer to do the work, if no one
>else is able/willing.  Just give me enough time to learn how.

I fact I think that a central Bundle::KohaSupport in CPAN is not a good idea.
Why ?
Because the mainstream now is to use the packages of every distro and
only for modules without a package
to use CPAN. With CPAN you will receive the last version of a module
and sometimes with this operation you break something.
So in fact the Bundle::KohaSupport needs to be different for every
distro and every version of a distro.

I think is more useful if you work on check the installation
instruction on this problem.
For example the modules listened in INSTALL.debian /
INSTALL.debian-lenny / INSTALL.ubuntu are correct ?
In the same time you can check the lists in
install_misc/ubuntu.packages, debian.packages, debian-lenny.packages

If you don't use a debian based distro, you can check
INSTALL.opensuse and INSTALL.fedora7
Others installation instruction here:
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php#installation

Bye