[Koha] Biblio and Biblioitem

Walls, Ian Ian.Walls at med.nyu.edu
Fri Dec 4 03:42:55 NZDT 2009

Yes, the biblio/biblioitem distinction was part of Koha 1.x, before it had MARC support.  It was designed by folks trained in database normalization and other computer science-y traditions, and just makes good sense from that perspective.  When Koha got MARC support in version 2.0, these tables were linked with a one-to-one correspondence, since MARC doesn't make the distinction between the two levels.  Biblionumber and biblioitemnumber should always be the same for any Koha 2.0+ installation.

There has been talk of merging the two tables together, since they are functionally one table already, but with the coming of RDA, and FRBR, and all that create new cataloging stuff, it may make sense to reevaluate the biblio/biblioitems distinction.

Anyone with more direct or personal experience with the development of this, please feel free to correct me if I've mis-stated anything; this is just my understanding of the situation.

Cheers,

-Ian