[Koha] Biblio and Biblioitem

Andrew Buxton A.Buxton at ids.ac.uk
Fri Dec 4 02:23:35 NZDT 2009

The SQL table definitions are just a reflection of the underlying data model.  The theoretical distinction seems to be between the features of a work that are constant across all editions and manifestations (e.g. the author and title) which go into BIBLIO and those which will vary (e.g. edition, number of pages) and go into BIBLIOITEMS.

However I wonder, as a prospective rather than actual user, whether this works well in practice.  For instance, doesn't the actual title (as opposed to the uniform title) sometimes vary between editions? And the copyright date may be different for a printed book, the audio recording, and the film of the book.  The series title will be different if the same book is published as a member of different series.

It also doesn't seem to fit well with MARC as an exchange format, which combines all these elements into one record, so they might as well be all in one table.

Andrew Buxton
IDS, Brighton, UK