[Koha] Biblio and Biblioitem

Elaine Bradtke bradtke.e at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 4 00:43:07 NZDT 2009

Could someone please explain the terms Biblio and Biblioitem?  I tried
looking through the manual and the FAQ's but the terms appear so
frequently that I get too many hits. And the Glossary wasn't any help
either.

I'm editing the subfields in the MARC framework and under Advanced
constraints there's a Koha link.  I was trying to link at what I
thought was the appropriate level - the biblio.isbn  but there only
appears to be a biblioitems.isbn

Not understanding the difference between biblio and biblioitems makes
me wonder if this will work.  I'm trying to link analyticals together
using their common ISBN in the 773 Host Item Entry field.

Quoting from the 3.0 manual:
# link : If you enter a field/subfield here (200b), a little glass
appears after the subfield. If the user click on the glass, a search
is done on the DB for the field/subfield with the same value. Can be
used for 2 main topic :

    * on a field like author (200f in UNIMARC), put 200f here, you
will be able to see all biblios with the same author
    * on a field that is a link (4xx) to reach another biblio. For
example, put 011a in 464$x, will find the serial that was previously
with this issn. With the 4xx pligin, you get a powerful tool to manage
biblios connected to biblios

# Koha link : Koha is multi-MARC compliant. So, it does not know what
the 245$a means, neither what 200$f (those 2 fields being both the
title in MARC21 and UNIMARC !). So, in this list you can "map" a MARC
subfield to it's meaning. Koha constantly maintains consistency
between a subfield and it's meaning. When the user want to search on
"title", this link is used to find what is searched (245 if you're
MARC21, 200 if you're UNIMARC).
--
Elaine