[Koha] MySQL Problem

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Aug 19 01:34:39 NZST 2009

Erik Lewis <elewis at ngrl.org> [...]
> sudo mysql start
> and got this:
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
>
> hmmm...
> Thought about it for a moment and decided that maybe I should try mysqld
>
> That worked but [...] Any thoughts?

I think running mysqld directly won't start the server with the same
parameters as the script /etc/init.d/mysqld does, so it might not find
your databases and settings.  Try using the init script and if it
fails to start with some error message, check the /var/log files for a
fuller description of the problem.

This is more of a general sysadmin or ubuntu question than a Koha
problem, so you might find a local sysadmin or LUG who could explain
it more fully.

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)  LMS developer and webmaster at     | software