[Koha] Supporting the Open Source Concept

Anne Zarinnia anne.zarinnia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 12:51:10 NZST 2009

John,
I have been watching the Koha list for at least five years and, after
encouraging students to investigate Koha as a strategy for ensuring
equitable power in searching for schools across Wisconsin, have similar
concerns.  LibLime, which bought the Koha trademark, is now as expensive as
the far more developed Follett software.  Thank you for reminding everyone
about the essence of open source.
Anne Zarinnia

2009/8/5 Joann Ransom <jransom at library.org.nz>

> Good for you John!
>
> Thanks for stating your position - welcome board.
>
> Cheers Jo Ransom.
>
> Yokley, John wrote:
>

>> Fellow Koha users and developers
>>
>> I have watched with growing concern the claims being made about various
>> vendor’s commitment to abiding by both the spirit and the letter of the open
>> source movement as it pertains to Koha. Speaking on behalf of PTFS, I want
>> to inform the Koha community that PTFS is committed to abide by not only the
>> law, but the spirit of the open source movement. PTFS will submit all the
>> Koha code we develop – both for our clients and the code we develop
>> internally – back to the community for inclusion into Koha proper. We
>> believe all vendors should do so as well. We’ve recently submitted several
>> new enhancements to the Koha community and will continue to do so as we
>> complete coding. On our part, we will not use “the code is still in testing”
>> or “our clients haven't approved it yet” as an excuse for delaying our new
>> enhancements to the community.
>>
>> We understand that for the open source concept to work all participants
>> must contribute code and work collaboratively. This concept seems is the
>> only ethical way to conduct business related to the Koha ILS movement.
>>
>> If you have any questions about PTFS, or our development concepts and
>> strategies, please feel free to contact me directly.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> John Yokley
>>
>> CEO
>> P | T | F | S
>> Content Management and Library Solutions
>> 6400 Goldsboro Road Suite 200
>> Bethesda, MD 20817
>> (301) 654-8088, ext. #111
>> FAX: 301-654-5789
>> Cell: 240-447-8970
>> jyokley at ptfs.com <mailto:jyokley at ptfs.com>
>> www.ptfs.com <http://www.ptfs.com>

Anne Zarinnia, Ph.D., Dept. Educational Foundations
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, Whitewater, WI 53190
zarinnie at uww.edu
262 472-1463 (office)