[Koha] Supporting the Open Source Concept

Yokley, John JYokley at ptfs.com
Thu Aug 6 10:50:33 NZST 2009

Fellow Koha users and developers

I have watched with growing concern the claims being made about various
vendor's commitment to abiding by both the spirit and the letter of the
open source movement as it pertains to Koha. Speaking on behalf of PTFS,
I want to inform the Koha community that PTFS is committed to abide by
not only the law, but the spirit of the open source movement. PTFS will
submit all the Koha code we develop - both for our clients and the code
we develop internally - back to the community for inclusion into Koha
proper. We believe all vendors should do so as well. We've recently
submitted several new enhancements to the Koha community and will
continue to do so as we complete coding. On our part, we will not use
"the code is still in testing" or "our clients haven't approved it yet"
as an excuse for delaying our new enhancements to the community.

We understand that for the open source concept to work all participants
must contribute code and work collaboratively.  This concept seems is
the only ethical way to conduct business related to the Koha ILS
movement.

If you have any questions about PTFS, or our development concepts and
strategies, please feel free to contact me directly.

Best Regards

John Yokley

CEO
P | T | F | S