[Koha] Linux Flavour - Koha

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 00:34:57 NZST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Suchetha Wijenayake<suchetha at gmail.com> wrote:

<snipped>

> for a production level, i wouldn't recommend Fedora as it is a ...
> testing (for want of a better word) distro for RHEL.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. FWIW, we've had
progressively tested and deployed Koha 2.x on Fedora x86_64 (back in
the days of Core 3 and 4). One of these is a perfectly running
University Library setup on 2.2.5 on FC4 since 2005 onwards and still
going strong.

> in the same way, I don't recommend Ubuntu either.

Inspite of this -> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTS which ensures 5 years
of support for server edition?

Come on, lets have better reasons than distro fanaticism ;-)

Also your options often depend on the type of hardware you are
deploying on and what support you need to provide.

For example, we recently had to install Koha 3.0.3 on a HP c3000
BladeSystem based Proliant dual Quad-core Xeon blade. CentOS proved to
be the only stable answer, whereas Ubuntu made a mess of the h/w enum.
Of course, this has nothing to do with Koha. But the point I'm making
here is that for commercial / institution grade deployments, Koha may
not be the only deciding factor for the choice of OS. Which leads us
back to the question of making Koha behave nicely on other distros as
well.

cheers
-indra