[Koha] Support for Koha

Cab Vinton bibliwho at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 14:01:34 NZST 2009

Have to say that I do not feel that Josh's response was either a "full
frontal attack" on Joann or ill-tempered.

Joann stated in fairly clear terms her view that LibLime does not
intend either to honor the licensing conditions that have historically
guided Koha's development or to "contribute to the good of the
community."

Whatever the merits of her opinions, LibLime certainly has the right
to respond to what would be considered pretty serious charges in any
open source community. Josh did so, and in a way that, at least in my
view, falls within the norms of meaningful and respectful discourse.

Full disclosure -- We're a small-fry client of LibLime's, but know for
sure that the company is not perfect.

With respect to Brooke's point about closed lists, I don't see that it
is a priori unreasonable for clients of a particular company to have a
separate forum in which to interact with each other and with the
company in question. One thing IS clear, however: the intersection of
open source and private commerce is a messy one!

But surely this is not the only example of such an intersection out
there -- MySQL itself seems to have a ton of official and unofficial
companies attached to it. So, just growing pains??

Cheers,

Cab Vinton, Director
Sanbornton Public Library
Sanbornton, NH