[Koha] Support for Koha

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Tue Aug 4 13:44:40 NZST 2009

Salvete!

Nau te rourou, naku te rourou, ka ora ai te iwi. See, Chris is
civilising me slowly but surely. :)

It would be nice to have this as a byline on Koha pages or graphics.

>No Cheryl, this is not at all the way the Koha Community operates as a
>rule.

I feel the same, and I would love to have this in a planning document. I
think it is crucial to get to voting on some mission and vision
statements so that we can point to guidance and that people feel
included in the project. We need to know where we're going.

>There are plenty of other vendors who are prepared to honour the
>licensing conditions designed to keep Koha the open source project it
>was released as and should always be. Choose another vendor if you are
>uncomfortable about a vendors choice to hold back code or not
>contribute to the good of the community; there are plenty of good
>alternatives out there.

In diversity, both the project and the ecosystem thrive. This is not
something to take as an attack, it is a suggestion to take to heart, at
least as I read it. Again, thank you HLT for your initial contribution.
This would not exist at all without you.

Yes Josh, LibLime has contributed. Thank you for it. I don't believe
anyone has suggested otherwise. It is very hard for anyone to provide
you with any sort of tip or feedback that is different from what you
hold in your head without you taking offence. The minutes reached me as
well through the pixelly moccasin trail that is the Librarian's realm. I
felt that it wouldn't be quite fair to circulate them myself since I
wasn't in the room. I also felt that the very act of putting them on
list would make you overreact, and I am unhappy to see that a very
neutral comment did the same anyhow. I also feel as though I am not the
Guardian and that Rachel should be speaking to this more than I should.
I don't think anyone on this list or otherwise wants to see LibLime
fail. I do think that almost no one wants to go back to the same
situation that they had with a proprietary vendor. This indefinite
withholding of code is a step backwards. You have control of your
company and you could chose to do something different from others.
Solitary control just won't happen, and shouldn't. Creation of closed
lists and a second tier of membership are not in the spirit of the
project or open source.
There are a lot of unanswered questions in that conversation, and I
still feel as though there are many mutually beneficial unexplored
options out there. This seems like the sort of project that needs an
incubator to foster start ups neutrally.

My one bead, because I am keeping half for now,
Brooke