[Koha] MARC record import

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 10:43:39 NZST 2009

Hi,

2009/7/31 Agnes Rivers-Moore <arm at hanover.ca>:
> If there is real interest in building a copy and paste MARC text editor, we
> still have the Spectrum server available. We also have a consultant who may
> be interested in developing this functionality.

I think this is a niche requirement, but obviously something that can
be very useful indeed if you happen to occupy the niche.  I know that
at one point Jesse Weaver was working on a text-based bib editor that
would have allowed this, but doing it as a full MARC editor
replacement has certain gotchas in Koha, mostly having to do with
validating a record against a MARC framework.  That said, offering
this as a special way to import a bib record one at a time make sense
to me.

If in addition to the particular text format accepted by Spectrum, the
MARCMaker/MARCBreaker format [1] was accepted by such a tool, it would
be even more useful.

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/makrbrkr.html

Regards,

Galen