[Koha] koha features

Zeno Tajoli tajoli at cilea.it
Thu Apr 23 00:30:48 NZST 2009

Hi Sébastien

>Now, our project is to build a new version of the library, which would
>use as much open-source technology as possible.
>One idea we have is to rewrite the web server part based on a Library
>Management System such as koha.
>Given the projects mentionned above and the short description of our
>library, I have several questions.
>
>1. According to you, is koha the best candidate for building a digital
>library ?
>Can you think of other library management systems which would make it
>easier to handle digital ressources and at the same time use standards
>such as Marc and Z3950 ?
>
>2. Does the present architecture (web server + file server) look
>relevant to you ?
>Would you recommend to base the file server on a tool such that Fedora
>Commons, or would you rather suggest to use a revision control system or
>even another content management system ?

why do you want a library management system ?
Do you need to setup circulation policies ?
Do you need to catalague  serials ?
Do you need to manage acquistion  ?

If from Koha you need only catalogue and Opac with 'simple' metadata,
well Koha is too much for you. You probably do a
best choice if you select a software like Greestone or Dspace.

Koha, IMHO, is ok if you want:
-- to catalogue with full MARC21/UNIMARC set of metatda
-- do you want an Opac with specific indexes on
your data. Is not easy but with Zebra you can
index every field/subfield do you want
-- a Z39.50 / SRU server is good extra for you
-- To use an authority to catalogue is a good extra for you

In fact you still  have many work to do on Koha to gain your gaols.
Do you need inside (or you need to pay):
-- People with good Library Science knowledge (exp. on Z39.50)
-- People good on Linux and with good dev skills on perl

Bye

Zeno Tajoli
CILEA - Segrate (MI)
tajoliAT_SPAM_no_prendiATcilea.it