[Koha] Satisfaction with free/open source software: survey invitation

Brenda Chawner Brenda.Chawner at vuw.ac.nz
Fri Oct 17 09:45:09 NZDT 2008

MJ (Slef), thanks for your questions.

    Will the full anonymised dataset be available under a free/open source
    licence?

Your question has made me realise that I haven't thought enough about this
aspect of my research. Under New Zealand's privacy legislation, the standard
approach most researchers take is to state that the data will be stored
securely for a specific period, used only for the purposes specified, and
then destroyed; that's what I have said in the introduction to the survey. I
am not aware of any local research that has collected data from people (as
opposed to data from other types of research) where the dataset has been
made available.

Since I have not sought permission to make the raw dataset available, and a
number of people have already completed the survey, I can't change the terms
now. However, I will check with the chair of our Human Ethics Committee to
find out if it would be possible to make an anonymised subset of the data
available in some way. If not, then I will keep your comment in mind for any
future research I do, and seek permission to make an anonymised version of
the dataset available to others.

    What are the licence terms for the institutional repository?

I can choose the licence for copy that will be deposited in the IR, and will
choose a New Zealand Creative Commons license, which will be attribution,
non-commercial, share-alike. But I have to finish the thesis first!

I suspect my answer won't make you change your mind about completing the
survey - but at least I've had my consciousness raised as a result of your
question.

Thanks again.
--
Brenda Chawner
Senior Lecturer & LIM Programmes Director