[Koha] UTF-8 again

"Thommy M. Malmström" thommy.m.malmstrom at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 02:06:16 NZDT 2008

I'm about to get crazy on this character set mix.

I have Koha 3 on

Ubuntu 8.04
MySQL 5
Apache 2.2
Perl 5.8
Firefox 3

Stright out of the box installation.

I've followed the instructions on
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=ubuntu_gutsy
to install and it went in with some minor hickups.

When I use Z39.50 to search for an item it shows up with a black rhomb
with a white question mark in it if the character is outside ASCII. Like
ö becomes �

If I save the record it shows up with the same rhomb/q-mark for those
characters.

Then I went to http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=encodingscratchpad but
none of the hints there made any difference.

So, is there anyone who have made this combination to play with non
ASCII characters. And if so, can you list what you have done outside of
the vanilla installation?