[Koha] URI field link options

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Tue Nov 4 09:41:00 NZDT 2008

Hello all,

I have a successful install of Koha 3.0 (revision 17 I believe) running on
Debian etch, Apache2, Mysql 5.0.  In some cases we will be using this to catalog
a computer file of some sort - text or maybe images or sound.  I find I can get
this to work by putting in the full path to the file -
http://ipaddressofserver/directory/filename, but am trying to figure out a way
to use a variable for the first part of that so that I can move the directory in
the future and not have to reenter all of the links.  For instance, a cataloged
entry pointing to text_directory_variablename/filename is reinterpreted to
http://kohaserver_ip_address/localtext/filename.  Or
sound_directory_variablename is reinterpreted to
http://another_web_server_ip_address/some_directory/filename.  I have tried
using some SetEnv statements in the koha-httpd.conf file and also an extra entry
in the <config> section of the koha-conf.xml file, but these did not work - the
link shows up without reinterpreting the variable name.  At this point the best
I have been able to do is to use http://kohaserver/a_directory/filename and then
create a DNS entry for the kohaserver that points to the correct IP address.  My
concern is looking toward the future, and trying to make things as flexible as
possible - so that these files could be moved later and the only change to make
it work would be reconfiguring what the variable points to.

Writing this I am thinking that there is probably not code in Koha to
automatically do this, but not being a perl programmer I am not sure where I
would start looking.  If a code modification is what it would take, a little
bird dogging to the right place would help me also.

Thanks,

Doug