[Koha] Koha for Libraries

Scott Owen sowen at edzone.net
Fri May 23 00:54:43 NZST 2008

Gautam,

I am fairly new to Koha, and am working on some of the same issues.
These are my solutions.
I don't know if these are the "correct" or "prefered" solutions...but
they work for me.
(I am using ver 2.2.9 on Windows)

1. Patron Database(s) can be imported to the Koha system using a number
of tools. I think version 3 has a mass patron import utility built into
it? I am using:
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html (free software)
for importing a CSV full of my student information. Make sure to
download a version with the "Query Browser".
Launce the Query browser and search for "import" under the help menu.
You should find information on importing text and CSV files.

---------------------snip------------------
To import a comma separated file on the Windows platform use the
following syntax:

LOAD DATA INFILE “C:/Documents and Settings/peter/My
Documents/spreadsheet/data.csv”
INTO TABLE alldata
FIELDS TERMINATED BY “,”;

The default field terminator is a tab character so if you use a
different terminator you must specify it as shown in the preceding statement
----------------/snip----------------------

You will need to get your user data in the correct format before importing.
You can get the format by preforming a query on the "borrowers" table
and then (right clicking ) and exporting the output as a CSV.
the fields will need to be setup something like this:

borrowernumber cardnumber surname firstname title othernames initials
streetaddress suburb city phone emailaddress faxnumber textmessaging
altstreetaddress altsuburb altcity altphone dateofbirth branchcode
categorycode dateenrolled gonenoaddress lost debarred studentnumber
school contactname borrowernotes guarantor area ethnicity ethnotes sex
expiry altnotes altrelationship streetcity phoneday preferredcont
physstreet password flags userid homezipcode zipcode sort1 sort2

You may be able to automate this process....I'm not familiar with KLP.

2. Do you have the MARC records (in MARC format) in the spreadsheets
anywhere?? By far, the easiest way to import the book database is to get
the MARC records of the books and then do a mass import using the
command line tools built into Koha.
In my case I use:
Open a cmd prompt, and cd to c:\usr\koha229\scripts\misc\migration_tools
type bulkmarcimport.pl hit enter and read the command line options

bulkmarcimport –file (path to raw txt file) –t
will “test” the mass import file….no changes will be made to the database.

bulkmarcimport –file (path to raw txt file)
will add biblio records…..they bypass the reservoir.

3. I have no idea how to import your current transactional information.

Good luck!

-Scott Owen
Alma Public Schools