[Koha] "Software error" on Web page

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Thu May 8 12:23:45 NZST 2008

Hi Michael,

On Fri, May 2, 2008, Mitchell, Michael <Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu> wrote:

> I spent yesterday trying to get a fresh install of Debian Etch and
>  Koha3Beta following the instructions maintained by Joshua Ferraro at
>  http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=INSTALL.debian;h=
>  1c35e8098c561f3f563b9c8f5f7e5844c60cdab5;hb=HEAD. After many false
>  starts I finally got to this point on my web browser when connecting to
>  both the 80 and 8080 ports. I thought all the cpan/Perl modules had
>  loaded without error but I guess not. I tried reloading the ZOOM::Z39.50
>  module but got a bunch of test errors this time. [snip]
>
>  Software error:
>  Can't locate ZOOM.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/share/koha/lib
>  /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8
>  /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8
>  /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Context.pm line
>  59.
> [snip]

I don't use Debian (or Debian-derived distributions, like Ubuntu), but
it seems to me that the Net::Z3950::ZOOM Perl module was NOT
installed.

I suspect of 3 possible sources of error:

- Possible Source of Error #1 :

If, while trying to install the ZOOM Perl module, you get the
following error message (in the middle of the output of the
installation):

__________
"ERROR: Unable to call script: yaz-config
If you are using a YAZ installation from the Debian package "yaz", you
will also need to install "libyaz-dev" in order to build this module.
__________

... then, like the message mentions, you'll have to install the Debian
package "libyaz-dev" first.

After doing that, install again the Net::Z3950::ZOOM module.

- Possible Source of Error #2 :

If, while trying to install the ZOOM Perl module, you get the
following error message (in the middle of the output of the
installation):
__________
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcrypt
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [blib/arch/auto/Net/Z3950/ZOOM/ZOOM.so] Error 1
koha:/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21#
koha:/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21# lgcrypt
-bash: lgcrypt: command not found
koha:/Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21# lgcrypt
-bash: lgcrypt: command not found
__________

... then, you'll have to install the libgcrypt-dev Debian package
(using apt-get). This tip was given by Chris Cormack (that worked for
LibLime) here:

[Koha] ZOOM Module
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2007-November/012784.html

After doing that, install again the Net::Z3950::ZOOM Module.

- Possible Source of Error #3 :

If you had already installed "libyaz-dev" before installing the ZOOM
Perl Module, then you may be behind a corporate firewall, and that may
be blocking the connection tests to Z3950 Servers (these connection
tests are done during the installation of the ZOOM Perl Module).

It that is the case, then you'll probably have to do a "force install"
of the Net::Z3950::ZOOM module, in a CPAN prompt / shell, like this:

# cpan

cpan[1]> force install Net::Z3950::ZOOM

I hope this helps. Please, do tell later if any of these 3 possible
sources of error actually applied to you (and which one did) and if
the proposed solution worked.

Best wishes,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net