[Koha] Transferring data from an old version to a new one

Judith C. Saulle jcs3h at cms.mail.virginia.edu
Wed May 7 07:49:22 NZST 2008

Hi All,

We were using an old version of KOHA in our small library. We recently had
a new
version installed on a newer server. Our tech support person transferred
the
data from the old version to the new. However, when we tested the system by
doing
a search on a topic the new version did not come up with any results.

Here is the problem as given to me by out tech person:

On the old server, we were running Koha version 1.x (I don't remember what
number the 'x' was. If that information is important, I'll need to visit
the IC again to find out.) We're now running version 2.2.9. I made a SQL
dump of the old database ("mysqldump") and loaded that data nearly verbatim
into the new database.

The names of the database tables in the old koha database all seem to exist
in the new database as well, so I didn't need to change any table names.
Likewise, *most* of the column names and types (with maybe one exception)
in the old tables are the same in the new tables, so porting the old data
to the new database was fairly straightforward. However, some of the tables
in the new database have columns that did not exist in the old database. In
porting the old data, these new columns would of course have taken their
default values. I'm guessing that this may be the crux of the problem; that
something other than the default values needs to go into one or more of
these new columns.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thanks,

Judith C. Saulle
Interim Associate Director
Lorna Sundberg International Center