[Koha] Help with installation on fedora 8 [and SunOS or Solaris?]

Richard MAHONEY r.mahoney at iconz.co.nz
Thu May 1 09:06:41 NZST 2008

Dear Readers,

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 03:50, Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:29 AM, BWS Johnson

> >  He didn't say otherwise, Josh. He *complimented* the developers, which I
> > tend to think is a great attitude. :)

> >  Installation issues - particularly with this problem - are not an unusual
> > complaint in the least - it's a pain to install, plain and simple. The
> > dependencies ought to be bundled together to make this a one, two, three
> > process. If it's the case that LibLime doesn't want to make for an easy
> > installation for financial interests, that's fine. But Fedora is not a
> > strange distro in the least, nor is the complaint that it's too hard to
> > install far afield.

> Well, we wrote both the installer and the INSTALL and INSTALL.debian
>  files, and that was work that we contributed without any client
>  sponsorship. Our goal has been to make the installation process as
>  easy as possible, we have no financial interest in making it hard.
>
> Koha is brain-dead easy to install on Debian, there's a step by step
>  guide available here, written by yours truly:
>
> http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob;f=INSTALL.debian;h=1c35e8098c561f3f563b9c8f5f7e5844c60cdab5;hb=HEAD
>
> As far as bundling the dependencies, that steps beyond our (LibLime)
>  domain of knowledge, and we don't have the resources to devote to it
>  -- even for Debian, hough some have talked about it, and I think it's
>  a wonderful idea.
>
> Fedora isn't a strange distro, I totally agree; but we (LibLime) don't
>  use it, and we don't know how to install Koha on it, so we would be of
>  much use contributing a document or bundling of the dependencies on
>  it.
>
> Anyone on the list (or the dev list which I've CCed) have experience
>  and interest in contributing packages for Debian, RHEL, Fedora,
>  Mandriva, Gentoo, or any other distros?

Scanning the mail archives makes it clear that many users find Koha
installation and configuration non-trivial. But what surprises me in
all this is the apparent preference for specific Linux distros. What
seems to be lacking -- and I find this hard to understand -- is
interest in and support for Koha on SunOS or Solaris.

I can't explain why this should be the case, given that Solaris has for
so long been the ILS platform of choice for so many institutions.

The other day I mentioned that I had been having trouble installing
Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21 under Solaris 10 (an issue still unresolved):

 Subject: [Koha] Koha-3.00.00-beta | Solaris 10 | Net-Z3950-ZOOM-1.21 |
  Test suite failure
 Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 09:11:34 +1200

In answer, I received only one reply. While I was grateful for the
comments received, I was left wondering just how many of the list
readers are actually using Koha on serious heavily loaded enterprise
systems. How many Koha on Sun readers are out there?

Kind regards,

 Richard MAHONEY

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699
OXFORD, NZ      | email: r.mahoney at indica-et-buddhica.org