[Koha] A very basic librarian question

Christopher Brown-Syed cbrownsyed at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 22 18:06:26 NZDT 2008

Bigwood, David wrote:

>the item record. 852 in many
>systems, maybe 949 in Koha.

Just curious. I thought the 852 summary of holdings tag was now pretty
universal. I haven't heard of anyone's using the 949 tag for this
purpose since the days of the Geac library automation system (GLIS, not
Advance), in the 1980s and early 90s, which as far as I know introduced
this practice. I thought that the 9xx tags were originally intended for
multi-lingual support. But I haven't had much to do with this stuff in a
while. I would be interested, as a sort of historical footnote, to know.

Thanks
Chris Brown-Syed