[Koha] Forum boards

Christopher L Middleman cmiddleman at stcames.com
Fri Mar 7 03:35:26 NZDT 2008

So I started a good discussion about starting a forum board and I have
been reading the responses.  I want those who are against the forum
board idea to think of what is the purpose of a mailing list and how
well does serve all members.  The mailing list is great for developers.
It allows them to exchange ideas about how the content they are working
on will work.  They have a good un derstanding of the beast they are
creating so looking at the history of a question that has been asked.

Forum boards are strong for the general person.  If I have a question I
have all the responses grouped into one place where I can see how
something is refined.  I can easily search the entire discussion for my
answer or limit it to one section to get a really refined set of
answers.  They also have good post stuck to the top defining what this
section is about and FAQ's.

I read two forum boards regularely.  The first one I read every day
several times a day.  It is http://www.bikeforums.net/ .  Look at the
structure of board.  I ride a mountain bike and currently I am building
a road bike.  I am what is called Clydesdale.  At a minimum 3 of the
sections I delve into daily.  I use the bicycle mechanics section to get
answers on my build.  I needed help attaching a carbon fiber chain stay
protector and had my first response within 12 minutes.    I had 12
within 12 hours.  All nicely bundled under one topic idea and without
being interspersed among other content questions.  But I am also a
clydesdale so I need to know things like what re good wheels for a
clyde.  The mechanics section is ok for that but in the clyde section I
can search for an easy answer, and I found what rim and spoke count I
can go with on this build, or if that does not yield clues I can post on
a specialty wheel with a low spoke count and see if anyone else has had
experience with them.

The second forum I read is http://forums.majorgeeks.com/ for computer
help.  Notice again how it is broken up.  How quickly questions are
answered and how the answers are grouped together so you can see the
refinement of ideas the sometimes lead to the strongest answer.

So how do I envision a forum working for me on koha?  Well I work at a
school the has a Windows 2000/XP setup for the teachers and the
students.  The main server is an Ubuntu 6.06 file server and right now I
am woring on getting koha 3.0 alpha running on debian etch.  You can see
that I would need right now to look at an install section of the forum
for debian pertaining to getting the alpha done.  I was going through
the INSTALL.debian file and things went along pretty smooth but I have
hit a bump in the road.  Let say that 30% of the people installing this
hit the same point as I do.  Now if I have a forum board I have a sticky
at the top that says something like Installing of debian /version/.  I
read along with that and do my install my problem may be solved because
of refinements to the document by post.  If the install section does not
answer that I post my question and I may have a response to that
question withing minutes instead of having to wait for the mailing list
to go out, someone one read my question, and then me either receive the
answer directly from them or from the next mailing list that gets sent
out.  But what if that does not solve my problems.  How long would using
the mailing list take to possibly solve it.  I had one questions that
took 6 months for someone to finally send me an answer.

Someone borught up the idea of a wiki and I think for the installs that
is a possible route to take but we need to find a place to put them
all.  We can no longer have them seperated out and possibly not being
there.  Yesterday I was looking for the ubuntu install one for an idea
about modifying a file and it was either down or gone.  We also need to
end the practice of not showing every package that needs to be
installed.  It should not no longer say in the how to if you get errors
then install those packages.  I should be able to run through the
instuctions just like I do for stuff posted on howtoforge.com.

No matter what the mailing list will be needed but the forum board will
bring a broader sense of community to the koha project.  Forum boards
are lively neighborhoods.  They add to body of knowledge in a group.  I
would like to see this discussion continue and maybe some of the
development team weigh in on what they think.