[Koha] MySQL problem

Matt Burkhardt mlb at imparisystems.com
Sat Jun 21 02:43:00 NZST 2008

Joshua,

    From my experience, the documentation for installation is pretty
good - it's kind of dated with the current Ubuntu version, but overall
easy to follow.  The big problem comes when you start working with yaz
and zebra.  The versions Koha requires are not in the current Ubuntu
distro, and it kind of goes downhill from there.

    Is there anything I can do to help?  I offered to write up a better
installation guide for Michael - but would be happy to post it for
everyone.   I probably need to get in touch with the yaz and zebra
folks.  Any other suggestions?

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 10:19 -0400, Joshua Ferraro wrote:

> Hey Michael,
>
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Michael Sauers
> <msauers at nlc.state.ne.us> wrote:
> > Ricardo, thanks for your assistance as this makes perfect sense.
> > However, my frustration level has just gone through the roof and I think
> > I need the weekend to relax before coming back to this project. Here's
> > why:
> >
> > I'm following the instructions in the document you're referring to
> > (INSTALL.debian) as I've just installed the current Debian release on
> > the respective computer. (The plan is to install Koha 3.) I'm at step
> > 1.2, Set up your locale, which says that I "_MUST_" follow all the steps
> > outlined there [http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=encodingscratchpad]...
> > BEFORE you install Koha." Ok, that's what I'm trying to do. Those
> > instructions then tell me to log into MySQL using an account that
> > INSTALL.debian doesn't tell me to create until step 2.2!
> >
> > So, basically the instructions are telling me to do something based on
> > the results of something I haven't been told to do yet. I'll admit I'm a
> > n00b to this but I do consider myself ready, willing and able to follow
> > most technical instructions. Having those instructions in the correct
> > order generally helps.
> >
> > Josh, I see you're the author of INSTALL.debian. Might this be something
> > that can be correct for future users?
> Good points ... we'll probably end up with two versions of the installation
> documentation at some point:
>
> 1. INSTALL.debian (basic install procedures for Debian)
> 2. Koha Noobie guide (Installing from scratch if you haven't used Linux before)
>
> I've gotten several comments from experienced debian users who found that
> the INSTALL.debian file was too verbose, and needed a summary for those
> who already know the basics.
>
> However, one of our goals is low barrier to entry, so your feedback is useful,
> thanks!
>
> Cheers,

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President