[Koha] purpose of this list

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Mon Jul 21 06:34:26 NZST 2008

Salvete!

>> I can setup another mailman list on our server no problem, unless
>> someone else would like to volunteer to host it?

Thanks for volunteering that, Rachel :)

>I wonder if this is the right time to ask: Shouldn't we try to
consolidate all
>the mailing lists to the lists.koha.org domain? I've had more than one
>person ask me if this list was the right list to join because apart
from
>the list name, the domain (lists.katipo.co.nz) isn't the same as all of
>the other Koha lists (lists.koha.org).

I'd rather not have all our eggs in one proverbial basket, for one.
There have been a number of times that I can recall the .org domain
failing (not too many from a technical standpoint, mind you) and I'd
hate to have a blackout period on ALL help. So, I like the .org for
documentation. I like that New Zealand is in the domain for this list -
they ought to get credit in perpetuity for their role in things. Just as
France for their major role, and all of the other countries kicking in
what they can.
I wonder at the repercussions of things; I also worry about English
being too prevalent, though I'm a perpetrator in that department. I miss
not having to struggle a little when I receive something in Spanish over
the listserv, or having to pause and assess what non European language
I'm in fact failing to read. I don't want folks to suffer too steep a
learning curve to be involved, but I cherish an exploratory approach to
learning. There are important lessons to be gleaned from following one
of the threads in the web.

Cheers,
Brooke