[Koha] Koha Community Events

Bigwood, David bigwood at lpi.usra.edu
Thu Jul 17 05:54:28 NZST 2008

Greg,

The MARC Community information format is separate from the MARC
bibliographic format, the MARC authority format, and the MARC holdings
format. So it is not part of a MARC record, but could be the schema used
to create a MARC record. It never caught-on but still is a valid format.
There are fields not available in the other formats. For instance, 312
Equipment available. You can check it out at:
http://www.loc.gov/marc/community/ci3xx.html

GILS (Government/General? Information Locator Service) was another
format for the same type of data. That was widely adopted, but seems to
have passed out of favor. For marking up Web pages there is the hCal
microformat. That is gaining some traction. Not sure what folks are
doing for something that requires a richer format.

I don't ever recall hearing that Koha could handle the MARC Community
Information format. That's not to say it can't, though.

Sincerely,
David Bigwood
dbigwood at gmail.com
Catalogablog