[Koha] Can't install Net::Z3950::ZOOM on openSUSE 11.0

Ricardo Dias Marques lists at ricmarques.net
Tue Jul 15 12:34:07 NZST 2008

Hi Bob,

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:39 PM, Bob Ewart <bob-ewart at earthlink.net> wrote:

> libgcrypt-devel-1.4.0-3.1 and libgcrypt11-1.4.0-3.1 were installed.

OK, that's good.

> The problem is that yaz was not.  Once I installed it, Net::Z3950::ZOOM
> installed.

Great catch! It's interesting that I have reviewed my installation log
(I have putty logging every printable output to a text file) and it
*seemed* that when I installed the libyaz package, it was also
installing yaz itself). However, prompted by your info, I typed the
following command:

____________________

# rpm -qi yaz
____________________

And, sure enough, I got the following output:
____________________

package yaz is not installed
____________________

So, I have now installed yaz with the yast command:
____________________

# yast -i yaz
____________________

... and all seems to be well now!  :)

> I checked your guide on the wiki.  Libyaz and libyaz-devel are listed to
> be installed, but yaz itself is not.

You're absolutely right. It's funny that I did not get the same error
that you did (" Failed test 'connection to non-existent host
'no.such.host' fails' ") when installing the Net::Z3950::ZOOM Perl
Module. It's possible, as you said, that this was due to a version
difference in this ZOOM module (from 1.21 - the one I got when
installing it from CPAN - to 1.24 - the one you got).

I have already updated the information in wiki to add this step to
install yaz. Naturally, I credited you for the find:

Installation Guide for Installing Koha 3 on openSUSE 11 [Koha Developer Wiki]
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=opensuse_11.0

I will also update the INSTALL.opensuse Koha file in "git" (the source
control system that Koha uses) to also have this information.

> Thanks for your help.  It got me looking in the right direction.

You're welcome. Thank you very much for having reported back with this
information and I apologize for the missing step in my Tutorial /
HOWTO.

Best wishes,
Ricardo Dias Marques
lists AT ricmarques DOT net