[Koha] Status of Koha 3 Translations (two weeks remaining)

Joshua Ferraro joshua.ferraro at liblime.com
Thu Jan 17 13:41:22 NZDT 2008

Hi all,

Since the announcement on January 8th (8 days ago) that Koha 3 is
ready to be translated, we've heard from dozens of translators around the
globe who have collectively agreed to translate Koha into over 26 languages!
So first off, a big round of applause to all who have volunteered!

Just to give you all an update, I just approved all pending translations, and
we're up to about 16% completion for all translations. Some are finished,
and some haven't been started yet.

Please bear in mind the deadline for submissions is 1 February, just two
weeks away! I'll send another reminder in about a week. In the meantime,
happy translating everyone!

Finally, for those who would like to translate Koha into their langauge, and
missed the original email, here are the relevant instructions (most folks seem
to be using the web-based translation manager FYI):

1. Please take a look at http://translate.koha.org. Some translations already
exist; please consider taking over an existing translation rather than starting
a fresh one, unless the existing one is un-usably poor :-)

2. Please post your intent to translate Koha to the koha-translate list:

In your email, please specify your Language, and Country/Region (and
if your language uses a non-latin script, please also indicate the Script).
Koha uses RFC4646 for managing language subtags, so it's important
that we know all of those aspects of the language you're providing.

It's important that you post your intent, this way we can avoid overlap
and perhaps can even do some collaboration.

Note: even if you've contributed a contribution previously, please announce
your intent so we can have you on record for the 3.0 version.

3. Determine the application you intend to use to do the translation. You
have a few options:

 a. http://translate.koha.org will allow you to add your translations via a
web-based interface. If your language, region, country and script are not
listed, please email me and I will add them.

  b. Desktop Application - there are a few: LocFactory Editor (for OSX),
POEdit (for Windows), Kbabel (for Linux). If you use a desktop application,
please ensure that your encoding is set either UTF-8 or UTF-16, depending
on your language's script support in UTF-8. Most languages should use
UTF-8.

  c. Text file -- yes, you can edit POT files directly in a text
editor, but please make sure you have the proper encoding as with the
Desktop application.

4. Obtain the Translation Files. (doesn't apply if you use translate.koha.org).
You need to copy two files from the Koha 3.0 repository, one for the OPAC,
and one for the Staff Client:

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob_plain;f=misc/translator/po/xx-XX-i-staff-t-prog-v-3000000.pot;hb=HEAD

http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob_plain;f=misc/translator/po/xx-XX-i-opac-t-prog-v-3000000.pot;hb=HEAD

5. Naming your files. (doesn't apply if you use translate.koha.org).
Starting with Koha 3, we're using RFC4646 language subtag
naming conventions,  (have a look at
http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/ for an intro).

RFC4646 has a concept of 'extensions' that Koha uses to tag for the 'theme' (t)
 'interface' (i) and 'version' (v). For example, if you're creating a
French translation from France, for the staff interface, and version 3.00.00.00,
the filename would be:

fr-FR-i-staff-t-prog-v-3000000.po

6. If you've used translate.koha.org to submit your translation, when you have
finished, the system will have that indicated on the report (100%). Otherwise,
you'll have to send the file to us somehow. You can do that via email to the
list (in which case i recommend creating an archive of the completed files,
rather than sending them through in raw format). Or, if you are reasonable
comfortable with the command line, you can submit them via Git as a
patch. Here are the basic instructions for how to contribute using Git:

http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:git_usage

Translations go in the misc/translator/po file, and should utilize the standard
naming conventions. If you have a question, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers,