[Koha] Re: [Koha-translate] Translate Koha 3.0 into YOUR language

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Jan 10 00:10:18 NZDT 2008

On 1/9/08, Axel Bojer <axelb at skolelinux.no> wrote:
> Joshua Ferraro wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Now that the alpha release of Koha 3.0 is out, we need to start lining up
> > commitments from folks who want to translate Koha into their language.
> > If you want your translation to be accepted for the 3.0 release, you MUST
> > submit it before February 1st, 2008, which is the date that the Beta is
> > released! Note: even partial submissions will be accepted.
>
> Good to know!
> Does this mean it is a string freeze too, or will there be new strings?
There will be a few new strings, the string freeze will happen after the Beta
is released, everyone will get a chance to do a file update to their translation
at that point ...

> > So, what is the procedure for submitting a translation? You can, of course,
> > roll your own, but if you want your translation to be included in the
> > main release
> > of Koha 3.0, we'd best have a bit of a formal procedure ... so here's my crack
> > at an overview of the process:
> >
> > 1. Please take a look at http://translate.koha.org. Some translations already
> > exist; please consider taking over an existing translation rather than starting
> > a fresh one, unless the existing one is un-usably poor :-)
> >
> > 2. Please post your intent to translate Koha to the koha-translate list:

> > In your email, please specify your Language, Region, and Country (and
> > if your language uses a non-latin script, please also indicate the Script).
> > Koha uses RFC4646 for managing language subtags, so it's important
> > that we know all of those aspects of the language you're providing.
>
> We will translate koha into Norwegian, that means two writing languages:
> Nynorsk and bokmål. I am the team coordinator :-)
> No previous translations exists.
Cool ...

> > 4. Obtain the Translation Files. (doesn't apply if you use translate.koha.org).
> > You need to copy two files from the Koha 3.0 repository, one for the OPAC,
> > and one for the Staff Client:
> >
> > http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob_plain;f=misc/translator/po/xx-XX-i-staff-t-prog-v-3000000.pot;hb=HEAD
> >
> > http://git.koha.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=Koha;a=blob_plain;f=misc/translator/po/xx-XX-i-opac-t-prog-v-3000000.pot;hb=HEAD
>
> Ok. But I see this staff-file is bigger than the one I previously
> downloaded. Is there a way to merge the new strings into my po-file that
> is already started? KDE etc. uses such methods I think, but I have never
> done it myself, so if someone has a receipt it would be nice :-)
There's a way to do that within Koha, and I'm sure within your KDE environment.
FWIW, the Koha method is documented here:

http://www.kohadocs.org/usersguide/apb.html

I'd be happy to do it for you if that would help ...

> > 5. Naming your files. (doesn't apply if you use translate.koha.org).
> > Starting with Koha 3, we're using RFC4646 language subtag
> > naming conventions,  (have a look at
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/International/articles/language-tags/ for an intro).
> >
> > RFC4646 has a concept of 'extensions' that Koha uses to tag for the 'theme' (t)
> >  'interface' (i) and 'version' (v). For example, if you're creating a
> > French translation
> > from France, for the staff interface, and version 3.00.00.00, the
> > filename would be:
> >
> > fr-FR-i-staff-t-prog-v-3000000.po
>
> We have started nb_NO-i-staff-prog-v-30000.po and will want to start
> nn_NO-i-staff-prog-v-30000.po as well -- probably we will all use Kbabel.
Sounds great!

> > 6. If you've used translate.koha.org to submit your translation, when you have
> > finished, the system will have that indicated on the report (100%). Otherwise,
> > you'll have to send the file to us somehow. You can do that via email to the
> > list (in which case i recommend creating an archive of the completed files,
> > rather than sending them through in raw format). Or, if you are reasonable
> > comfortable with the command line, you can submit them via Git as a
> > patch. Here are the basic instructions for how to contribute using Git:
> >
> > http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:git_usage
>
> Hmm, will take a look. For now I have downloaded them using the provided
> link :-)

Cheers,