[Koha] Disk space requirement for Web Server

franweimer at juno.com franweimer at juno.com
Thu Feb 21 16:26:04 NZDT 2008

For comparison purposes, with non-KOHA systems ...

a zipped backup file on my old software, not client-server, took up 62MB for 50,000 titles; 68,000 copies; & 30,000 authority records.  When I migrated to a client-server system, each backup file required close to 1GB.  The question becomes what is backing up: everything or just data?  What information is stored?

Your question has made me more curious about KOHA server requirements.

Fran

__________________________
Fran Weimer
Dallas, TX  75236

Jesse wrote:

>the MySQL database is
>184 MiB for our catalog of roughly 13,000 books and 2,000 patrons.

Back in the pre-history of library automation (the 1980s), when space
was tight and disks expensive, we used to estimate the size of a
bibliographic database at 768 bytes per MARC record. I suspect that
rounding up to 1 MB/ bib record is probably still a good guess.

That's for the generic "title level" description, not including
information about all the copies of a title. Don't forget to allow for annual growth, and extra room for abstracts or lengthy notes (e.g. for archival items or rare books), and for local holdings information, especially if you record journal issues.

Chris Brown-Syed