[Koha] Organizational Meeting for (USA) Koha Users Group

Deb Bergeron bergeron at macalester.edu
Tue Feb 12 04:12:13 NZDT 2008

Rachel and all other Koha Users and Soon to be Koha Users,

The idea for the IRC meeting  is NOT to create another user group, it is
simply to follow-up on responses from USA Koha users and soon-to-be Koha
users in the planning ALAMW08 KUDOS meeting. Many people who were not
able to attend requested a method for having a tool for online-real-time
meetings.

The intention for the IRC meeting is to have the participants discuss
and share issues, which will then be shared  with John, so those can be
part of the information at the PLA Conference meeting.  Again, it is NOT
intended to take the place of the PLA meeting at all.

As you know, by building a strong user group, the users have the ability
to help make the Koha ILS stronger and LibLime grow as a company, while
users learn and help one another.  It's a win, win, win!

I will talk with John Brice today, having seen his email yesterday for
the first time.

I humbly apologize for any misunderstandings that have occurred.

Sincerely,

Deb

Rachel Hamilton-Williams wrote:

> [...]
> if it looks like not many will actually be able to make the in-person
> one then presumably that could still go ahead.
>
> Cheers
> Rachel
>
> Koha Kaitiaki
>

> John Brice wrote:
>> Dear Koha Mail list Member:
>>
>> Announcement!
>>

>> We will be having a formal organizational meeting of Kudos (Koha
>> Users Group) at PLA.  We are still working on the date and time of
>> the event.  Once it is determined we will e-mail everyone on the list
>> of current developments.  The meeting will be broken into two parts
>> first meeting will be for existing Koha users or Koha users planning
>> to be up and running within six months.  This meeting will be an
>> organizational meeting to discuss what type of national organization
>> to form the agenda will be as follows:
>>
>>                               1.   How did we get here? A short history
>>                                  of Koha
>>                               2.   Do we need a formal users group for
>>                                  Koha?
>>                               3.   Develop a mission statement.
>>                               4.   What type of structure do we need?
>>                               5.   Form a committee of three to write a
>>                                  by-laws proposal.
>>                               6.   Schedule next meeting.
>>

>> The second part of the meeting will be a general interest session and
>> will be opened to anyone who is interested in Koha.
>>

>> I understand that there is an IRC meeting being organized to talk
>> about exactly these same issues.  I request that the meeting be
>> postponed to after PLA.
>> I ask for this postponement based on the following reasons:
>>
>>    Previous meetings between vested parties of Koha, from many
>>    different nations, asked that any organizations based  on the Koha
>>    ILS be based on national boundaries, ie the French Koha Organization.
>>
>>    I believe that any Users Groups should be limited to only those
>>    individuals who are using Koha presently or are planning to use Koha
>>    within a relatively short time, say six months or so.
>>
>>    Using the IRC to form an new organization as complicated and unique
>>    as a Koha User's Group would be difficult at best and and anarchy at
>>    worst.   Once we have some sort of structure in place we can then
>>    use the IRC channel to discuss specific  steps and or  issues.  But
>>    to get started we need at least one sit down meeting with 7 to 10
>>    vested users of the Koha  ILS.
>>

>> I understand that many of you may be asking yourselves what the heck
>> is going on here, who is in charge of the Koha Users Group?  Well the
>> answer is no one is at this time, hence the confusion and multiple
>> paths of discussion. Each library has to make their own decision
>> about the best  path to follow in helping form a users group.  Anyone
>> else interested in discussing this matter with me can reach me at
>> jbrice at ccfls.org or call me at 814-336-1773.
>>

>> Sincerely,
>>

>> John Brice
>> System Administrator
>> Crawford County Federated Library System

Deb Bergeron <mailto:bergeron at macalester.edu> System Admin: User Support
CLIC Consortium <http://clic.edu>
1619 Dayton Avenue, Suite 204A
Saint Paul, MN 55104
O:*651.644.3878* C:*651.487.7609* F:651.644.6258