[Koha] Community Feedback

rafael.antonio at sapo.pt rafael.antonio at sapo.pt
Fri Dec 19 21:56:46 NZDT 2008

Dear all,
It is a mistake to think about "free beer" and not "free speech".
Koha is so complete that we must understand that to intall and
customize it there are only two ways: ourself or someone that knows it.
But with comercial software we have the same problem because we pay
the license plus customization.
If we choose Koha we have open souce wich can be adjusted. Otherwise
we pay and wait always for a new release.
Koha is so open that a lot of developments can be done with it. But to
be stronger a large community is needed to cooperate and share such
developments.
After some years and with 3.0 I see such growing (emails keep being
sent) that it can be spread around world.
We is Portugal have a difficult mission because  a large majority is
already using some commercial  software but I am trying to be an
evangelist and creating a Koha community. If it succeeds sometime we
help for free but other  times we do some consultation on Library
management and we are paid.
Regards,
Rafael António