[Koha] Backing up 3.0

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Fri Dec 19 05:49:44 NZDT 2008

Hello all,

I want to check to make sure I am backing up Koha correctly.  I looked
at this reference:

http://www.kohadocs.org/Backups_and_Restoring.html

It refers to the file structure for an earlier version.  I couldn't
find anything in the doc at
https://sites.google.com/a/liblime.com/koha-manual/ , but maybe I am
missing something there.  Here is what I came up with:

Backup the database using:

mysqldump --add-drop-table -u<dbusername> -p<dbpassword> koha >
koha.sql

I am running multiple databases, and am repeating the above for each
unique database name.

Backup all of the files in /usr/share/koha .

Backup the extra config files in:

/etc/koha
/etc/apache2
/etc/mysql/my.cnf

I am also backing up these as I made changes to them - perhaps unique
to my install:

/etc/vsftpd.conf
/etc/network
/etc/hosts

I am using cron to run several scripts that do the above, using tar
-czf to create compressed files and the copying them to a remote
location that also gets backed up to tape every day.

As I write this, I am thinking I should add /usr/share/perl5 and
/usr/share/perl to the list.

Is there anything else needed that won't easily install from a Debian
install?  My approach on this is to have a backup of all the unique
items needed for Koha, so I can do a clean install of Debian with
Apache2 and MySQL, then restore from the backups and go.  As there will
be core items that change depending on the hardware config, I don't
think I can just backup the entire debian file system and transfer it to
a new machine.

Thanks,

Doug Dearden
Director, Information Technology