[Koha] RDA, was: Re: Simple MARC or Simple Acquisitions?

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Fri Dec 19 03:54:34 NZDT 2008

Salvete!

>I'd suggest reading a paper by Martha Yee wrote for IFLA posted at
>http://slc.bc.ca/yee.pdf entitled PRINCIPLES FOR THE DISPLAY OF
>CATALOGER CREATED METADATA. I think how a system displays the MARC
>record is critical. As a cataloger I am shocked at the mess so many
>catalogs make of displaying our work to the public.

That was about contemporary to when I was in Library school. I'm not
sure if I read it as part of Cataloguing and Classification or whether I
stumbled across it on my own, I think it was the former. I agree with
your mess observation. The OPAC to me is a different bird than the
Cataloguing tools that the Librarian works with, even though they are
two sides of the same record. One of the things that I think this
project beat others on was the introduction of the 856u into the search
results. It doesn't seem when I think back on it like anyone else was
doing this at that point, but it was natural to our lads.

Cheers,
Brooke