[Koha] Locations and sublocations

Kathy Rippel kdr at ckls.org
Fri Dec 12 10:43:46 NZDT 2008

If you are talking about the staff use (as opposed to the tech
stuff), there is another way of approaching your problem.

I count three (or four) main places in an item records where you can
enter hierarchical information that will show up in other places in
your catalog that both patrons and staff can see. I would use a
combination of these fields to best fit your situation.

I'm a little unsure about the interactions in your scenario about
using both Location (952a) and Sublocation (952b). It's possible they
could represent your "library, departments and laboratories" and
"several sublocations/collections" respectively.

However, if you use your 952a (Location) for your "whatever your
institution or entity is", you can subdivide otherwise as follows.

library, departments and laboratories -- these could all be assigned
a shelving location (952c)
    * Library
    * Chemistry Dept.
    * Physics Lab
several sublocations/collections -- the next level could be a
collection (952 subfield 8).

A further breakdown can be done using the call number (952o)
    * Smith office 628.3
    * Staff Lounge 628.3
Volume numbers and years go best in 952h for us.

Using these areas, you have quite a bit of flexibility, depending on
your actual situation.

So, let's take a hypothetical book that is housed in the Chemistry
Dept. of "Your Local University Library Collection."

Location: Your Local University Library Collection
Shelving location: Chemistry Dept.
Collection: Faculty offices
Call number: Smith 628.3
Volume: v. 3

I'd cut out the Collection use like this, if you don't need that many levels.

Hope that gives you another perspective.

Kathy

  At 02:39 PM 12/11/2008, Lino Tremblay wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
>I'm trying to figure out how I'll set up my locations, and I'd like to
>know how you guys did. As our situation not atypicall, I'm sure some of
>you have faced the same problem
>
>So: we have several collections here, located for the most part in three
>places: library, departments and laboratories. Each of these locations
>is divided in several sublocations/collections. My problem is that all
>locations/sublocations/collections in Koha are at the same level: in an
>item, I could choose "Library" as a location, and a specific department
>as a sublocation - or the opposite, or any combination I can imagine -
>and it would be accepted.
>
>My question now: is there a way to create a hierarchy so that my
>Location menu contains only my three locations, and the
>Sublocation/collection shows only the collections available within this
>location? Or at least refuse an invalid combination?
>

>Thanks!
>
>Lino

Kathleen D. Rippel
Pathfinder Central, Manager