[Koha] report generation-Till Reconciliation for each branchlibraries

Joe Atzberger ohiocore at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 06:53:49 NZDT 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM, BWS Johnson <mhelman at illinoisalumni.org>wrote:

>  Salvete!
> >That report has been discussed before and was purposefully commented out
> in 3.0 (I argue should have
> >been deleted) becuase it is not reliable in a multi-branch situation. At
> present, the branch where the
> >transaction took place is not logged, so you cannot possibly create a
> report to extract that information.
> >
> >Developers are fairly aware of this problem and are working to totally
> overhaul fines data structure.
>
> I don't mean to be abrasive here, but will that overhaul include a solution
> that is palatable to both single branch Libraries and multi branch?

Yes, in particular since the current implementation is neither.  A Koha user
with a single branch still doesn't want their system to become unreliable
just because they add a second branch.

But fines in Koha has enough problematic design flaws that it requires
overhaul even for single branch setups.  The current model is not reliable,
atomic, maintainable, extensible, documented, secure or auditable.  The
overhaul offers most if not all those characteristics.

> I'd rather not see things tilt towards larger institutions in terms of
> deleting functions that used to exist.

I'd rather not provide institutions of *any* size with functions that are
erroneous, unreliable or fundamentally unsound.  I am against preserving
features that happen to work only in small or single branch setups (unless
they are wrapped in the SingleBranch syspref).  As a different example,
inefficient queries that "work fine" on 4,000 records and crash systems on
100,000 are not the kind of well-designed features worth preserving.
Leaving those kinds of landmines for users to step on makes Koha (or
Unicorn, or any product) look amateurish.

--Joe Atzberger