[Koha] Questions - again

Olugbenga Adara gbengaadara at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 6 11:52:21 NZDT 2008

--- On Fri, 12/5/08, reapsmoor at gmail.com <reapsmoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: reapsmoor at gmail.com <reapsmoor at gmail.com>
> Subject: [Koha] Questions - again
> To: koha at lists.katipo.co.nz
> Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 3:27 AM

hello

> By far the majority of my cataloguing is original, records
> aren't in other
> libraries elsewhere.  Is there a quick and easy way of
> doing this?  It all
> seems so long winded at the moment, it's enough to make
> me wish for
> old-style catalogue cards, at least I could quickly and
> easily enter data
> onto those!!!  (No not really!)  Is anyone else doing
> manual cataloguing and
> would like to share thoughts and best practice?

I am currently working on an offline (No internet connection on site) installation of Koha here in Nigeria. They have a collection of about 12,000 items and these are presently card catalogued.

The approach i am using is to use a small VB application, with only the fields that are needed for the catalogue. This app has access db at the backend. Then i imported the access db into excel, exported it out as CSV, and used marc edit to convert to marc after proper mapping of biblio and item fields.

This is then imported into Koha using the marc staging tools. i have already done a trial import into Koha and everything seems ok. Record shows up in OPAC and Staff Client ok.

Data entry was much faster than using koha directly. I also did not have to set up my data entry personnel in koha or train them in how to use koha as they were only employed for data entry.

Olugbenga Adara MCP
Consultant, 3OM Services / Projektlink Konsult,
Ibadan, Nigeria.
Mobile: 234-803-3220288