[Koha] Migration question

Thiesen, John jthiesen at bethelks.edu
Thu Dec 4 08:54:54 NZDT 2008

I'm wondering if someone can answer some questions related to the possibility of migrating from a commercial ILS to Koha.

We're exploring our options, and one thing we'd like to try would be to download a couple thousand of our records into Koha and play with it for a while, to see how it fits our workflow here. I've been surprised that there doesn't seem to be much documentation about uploading existing data into Koha (and, actually, I found the over all Koha documentation rather fragmentary). I understand in a general way how the bib records would work, but how does Koha deal with holdings/item records-i.e. barcodes, multi-volume works, multiple copies of the same work, etc.

John D. Thiesen
Co-director of Libraries
Bethel College
North Newton, KS