[Koha] How to sort out item types and colelctions

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Wed Dec 3 14:29:12 NZDT 2008

Hi there,

I am setting up our test Koha 3.0 and am wondering how Koha 3.0 is
designed to handle item types and collections. Turns out we have 3
different ways to solve the same problem! There must be a better way ...

*1st method: Adult Non Fiction. (insert a prefix before dewey number in
classification field)*
These are all purchased from the 1 budget but go into different
collections within the Adult Nonfiction: So ItemType= BN and for each of
the sub-collections we enter a prefix in the classification
classification field: ie Horowhenua Collection: H993.101 or Maori
Colletion M572.8 etc). This is good enough but we want to move to
breaking our collection up into living rooms or subject categories
housed together and wonder if this method will usefully scale upwards.
How, for instance, will this translate usefully into the OPAC view?

*2nd Method: Fiction (insert a category statement into the
classificatoin field)*
So they all get item type BF but then in the classifiction field we
enter: F-Mystery or F-Romance or F-Western etc.

*3rd Method : Junior Fiction (Distinct item types for each subcollection)*
ie Junior Castle collection: item type BJC, Junior Kermit Collection:
itemtype BJK and the main junior fiction sequence: item type: BJF

While we are very very clever being able to manage 3 such different
solutions to what is essentially the same problem; it is clearly
ridiculous. Learning of any other ways to approach the management
subcollections in Koha 3.0 would be greatly appreciated!.

Cheers

Joann Ransom.