[Koha] import records and map field to marc

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Aug 26 00:56:40 NZST 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Jochum van der Heide
<jochum.vanderheide at lifehope.om.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lenora Oftedahl wrote the following on 21/08/2008 16:26:
>> Barcode is mapped to 952p
>> Keywords would be 653a
>
> Thanks for that info.
>
> I'm a few steps further now. I managed to get my .csv file converted to a
> .mrc file using MarcEdit.
>
> With a bit of trial and error I found out that it's best to use 952$o for
> the Call number and 952$y for itemtype code. So for the record, this
> mapping list below imported nicely in Koha:
>
> Fields from OLD database        MARC Field ($subfield)
> Cataloge Record No(barcode)     952$p
> Title                           245$a
> Series                          440$a
> Author                          100$a
> ISBN                            020$a
> Subject (repeatable)            650$a
> Extra (subject2)                650$a
> Publishing - Name               260$b
> Publishing - Place              260$a
> Publishing - Date               260$c
> Call number                     952$o
> Item Type Code                  952$y
> Location (branch) code          952$b
>
> One question though: What field is used to display the "Descriptions" tab
> when viewing a book in the OPAC?
Descriptions are pulled from 5XX fields (Notes) as well as from any
external sources you have set up such as Amazon.

Josh

> -Jochum
>

>> I have changed the parameters in Koha to remove most of the mandatory requirements.  The only ones I left are 245a (Title), 942c (Item Type) and Barcode (952p)
>>
>> I never found info on how to use the bulkmarcimport tool.  Just keep trying to run the program until the records all loaded.  We found our installation was easier by breaking the MARC records into smaller chunks.  Took a few minutes longer, but worth the wait when a couple of the batches had glitches.
>>
>> Lenora
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 6:54 AM, Jochum van der Heide <jochum.vanderheide at lifehope.om.org> wrote:
>>>     Hi,
>>>
>>>     I'm about to import our 6000 records from an old DOS based library system
>>>     to Koha 3.0. I understand the best way to do this is using the
>>>     misc/migration_tools/bulkmarcimport.pl tool after creating the marc file
>>>     from csv with MarcEdit. Currently all the fields I could export from our
>>>     old system were the following:
>>>
>>>     Catalogue Record Number (barcode field?)
>>>     Title                   245a
>>>     Series                  440a
>>>     Author                  100a
>>>     Subject                 650a
>>>     Call number (local)     082ab
>>>     ISBN                    20a
>>>     Publishing - Name       260b
>>>     Publishing - Place      260a
>>>     Publishing - Date       260c
>>>     Extra                   653a?
>>>     GMD (Item type)         942c
>>>
>>>     What is the best field to use for the barcode? Also the Extra field has
>>>     some additinal info about the subject of the book. I was thinking this
>>>     would perhaps fit in 653a.
>>>
>>>     I noticed that by default there are a number of MARC fields mandatory. For
>>>     example, what is the 000 leader field used for and why is it mandatory?
>>>     Should I be using those fields or is it save to not make them mandatory?
>>>
>>>     BTW, are there any instructions available on using the bulkmarkimport tool?
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>
>>>     -Jochum

Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support
LibLime Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS