[Koha] AmazonContent-- Hit and Miss?

Max Crowe newdurhamlibrary at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:23:41 NZST 2008

Hi:

I'm a Library Director at a small library in New Hampshire.  We just started
using Koha (3.00.00.107), and we're using the AmazonContent function to have
our catalog pick up book covers and reviews from Amazon.  It works, but I
can't help but notice that the hit rate for the interface is rather low--
there's a large number of items in our collection for which we aren't
getting any book covers or reviews.  This would be expected, certainly, for
some of the older and more esoteric things in our collection.  But I'm
finding that even as I catalog new items-- Love the One You're With by Emily
Griffin, for example-- they also aren't getting any hits from Amazon.  (And,
if you search Amazon, you can easily find the book cover and reviews.)

Are any other libraries using this function?  If so, what sort of hit/miss
ratio are you getting?  Is there some field I should be using when
cataloging to ensure this function works better?

Max Crowe,
Library Director
New Durham Public Library