[Koha] Help with installation on fedora 8

Ken Lomax ken at lomax.gen.nz
Wed Apr 30 20:43:40 NZST 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 10:08 +0200, Marijana Glavica wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 06:58:46PM +1200, Ken Lomax wrote:
> > I am reminded very much of a situation we had with hardware vs software
> > many years ago with the hardware guys saying it was a software fault and
> > the software guys saying it was a hardware fault.
> >
> > Judging by the one and only reply to my request for help and no further
> > response from my reply to that, it appears that I am looking at a koha
> > vs perl/CPAN situation.
>
> why do you insist on Fedora? use Debian and everything will work and
> also for Debian you can get more support here.

Thia is the problem with so many distros. I have been in this situation
before with another challenge. Some distros are better at some things
than others, but a major application that only supports one
distro.......?????? If I change to debian, then i will have exactly the
same problem with other services who support a different distro. As this
is a small operation, I cannot afford a multitude of dedicated servers
each running a different distro

> > I am a great supporter of OpenSource, but after spending so much time on
> > koha (not only the previous four days-but in the considerable problems
> > in past installs) it appears that it is time to cut my losses and just
> > write my own application that will suit my purposes.
>
> It really depends on what you need, but for the system like Koha you will
> spend few years of development and also lot of help from librarians, and
> than, around version 3 you will finally be satisfied with your
> architecture :).

I was hoping to solve my library problem with an existing application.
It is not a full professional library application that is required here,
but from the experience I have had with working installations I give my
congratulations to developers for a good application. If I was running a
professional full scale library with a dedicated server, then Koha would
be a good choice.

However I have spent a total of well over 300 hours trying to get an
installation that I am happy with. In hindsight I would have been well
towards an application that would have served my needs if I had put that
time into my own application rather than getting involved in Koha.

> good luck :)
> Marijana

Thanks
Regards