[Koha] NZ English Translation

BWS Johnson mhelman at illinoisalumni.org
Fri Apr 11 12:43:20 NZST 2008

Salvete!

Sorry about the ccing and such, but I want to make sure the proper folks
get this, so I just replied all to the last post.

I've been thinking for a little while about the nature of the project.
To a certain extent, we are all victims of the project's success, which
I believe to be a happy problem. The _surface_ problem is that of
translation or diction used. (Arguably there isn't even a standard
within a given country thanks to trends - some folks prefer Patrons,
some customers, some users, et cetera.)

I think the deeper problem is that there is one out of the box
programme. I truly believe that we're well past the point that that even
comes close to working nicely anymore. Well do I also know how very much
time dedicated developers like you all put into this, for free. In the
end, I think it would save user time to either have a drop down install
or different purpose based packages. For the States (I apologise here
again, it's been about a decade since I lived in Ireland, and even that
was short term, so I hesitate touching someone else's stuff.) I would
propose a breakdown based on volume size and Library purpose. For
instance small Public, large Academic, School, Consortial, et cetera. If
the switches are already flipped for the most part, there will be a lot
less hassle at the end of the day for a bunch of effort up front. I bet
that a users' group would have good insights into how they would want
their package to look by default.

All the functionality would remain for each package of course, it would
just be a nicer initial Out of the Box flavour for different Library
types in different regions. Time could be managed that way, et cetera.
(Or maybe not, since I'm not a technical person, but I remember
installers for other stuff prompting for time zone and such...)

Not in the face,
Brooke