[Koha] Vendor Question

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Apr 11 19:55:59 NZST 2008

rafael.antonio at sapo.pt wrote: [...]
>   Let?s be open and colaborative,

Yes, sure, definitely - just look who I work for!  The first
cooperative to offer Koha service AFAIK.  I support collaboration
whole-heartedly.  Being open and collaborative requires that we
protect our communication channels, which are vital for collaboration,
from inappropriate behaviour, doesn't it?  Large attachments might
help close the list off to those on slow connections, and direct
marketing might help close the list off from non-commercial networks.
I'm surprised attachments aren't held for moderation by the list
server.

Dr Paul Chandler wrote: [...]
> However, I also find an aggressive tone on an internet list scary,
> because I do understand it. A list is a delicate ecology. [...]

It's more delicate than that.  Tone, as such, does not come out in
email. That's well-known and has been shown by research like that
described in American Psychological Association's Monitor
http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/egos.html

Well, I've been writing emails yesterday and today with an exasperated
tone. I find it hard to believe how this is being dragged out and
turned into a flamewar by people who claim to hate flamewars.

I feel that my two-line email equivalent of a raised eyebrow has been
reinterpreted and portrayed as something it wasn't meant to be.
elizabeth reacted to it in a very positive way, as I've written in
email off-list, *before* John Springer and Joshua Ferraro chipped in.
I'm sorry for my part in that, but I can't put this toothpaste back in
the tube, so please don't email the list to reinterpret it again as
aggressive or about trust.  It really wasn't meant like that.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef)