[Koha] Vendor Question

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Thu Apr 10 22:49:09 NZST 2008

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:25 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> "Joshua Ferraro" <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>
> > >  Would you sign up with a vendor who sends 1Mb of broken[1] PDFs to a
>  > >  mailing list?
>  > Let's agree to avoid this kind of hostile tone on-list, it's no way to have a
>  > discussion.
>
>  So if someone emails me and dozens (hundreds?) of others a large
>  unsolicited binary file, we shouldn't challenge that in public in
>  pretty strong terms?  That seems nuts.
Well, we can certainly take a vote on-list, I personally found your response
much more offensive than the PDF file.

>  > Whether or not the Linux Box folks can create a PDF has
>  > nothing to do with whether they can help me with my Koha system.
>
>  Perhaps, but I feel *how* they created the PDF (using non-free
>  software to make an apparently non-standard file) and what they did
>  with it (emailing it unsolicited to the list) might tell you something
>  about how they would approach Koha support.  LibLime might not care
>  about keeping this user in the free software world, but I do!
>
>  If someone wants on-site support, then it's going to limit the
>  options, but I suspect BibLibre and Calyx as well as TTLLP are happy
>  to accept international enquiries with remote support in general, so
>  it puts my nose out a bit when a company not seen here recently uses
>  someone not liking LibLime's prices as an excuse to mailbomb the list.
>  Limes are not the only fruit.
I couldn't agree more, which is why you've never seen the koha lists used as
a marketing tool for LibLime. We always point folks to
http://koha.org/support/pay.html
if they are looking for commercial support on-list.

>  Or would you rather LinuxBox had work instead of koha-devel members
>  for some reason?
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure LinuxBox has contributed to Koha in the
past ... feel free to correct me if I"m wrong. In any case, I'm happy to see the
available support options expand, I hope we have an environment in this
community that fosters multiple support channels. Sending hostile emails
on-list doesn't do that.

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support