[Koha] NZ English Translation

russ at russandsarah.gen.nz russ at russandsarah.gen.nz
Tue Apr 8 23:06:08 NZST 2008

Firstly, apologies for the cross list posting. I didn't realise that all
the other lists had been copied in. Seems that this is a bigger deal than
I originally thought.

>The best way to do that would be to have some kind of official
> language dictionary for library terms ...
>
> Fortunately, there's a  free Dictionary for Library and Information
> Science that
> we can avail ourselves of: http://lu.com/odlis/. Would anyone be
> interested in
> 'cleaning up' the English language strings in accordance with ODLIS?

I think the point is that there is no official language dictionary for
library terms. As HDL has pointed out, different libraries use different
terms for the same function, even in the same language in the same
country.

I don't have a hard copy of the ODLIS dictionary, so I can't see the full
methodology behind it's development, but from reading the back cover print
on the Amazon, I can see that was created by a librarian at a University
in the USA. I think it makes it a great resource to use to standardise the
naming conventions in an en-US translation.

Doing this work is desirable, but does not meet the needs of what I would
like to achieve with a translation that makes sense here in NZ.

I would like to translate some of the terms that make sense in the US, to
those that are relevant here. I don't think it is a big job, but the
feedback I have received has been that it would make a difference to the
usability of the system.

I'd at least like to try it out. Can an en-NZ code be created on
translate.koha.org please?

Cheers,
Russel